Sunday, December 19, 2010

First Flurries

As the first snowflakes fall, coating the sidewalks of NYC, I sip on searing spicy hot cocoa. It’s  the “Mexacali Mix” by Jacque Torres and has unsurprisingly become my go-to winter treat.  
 I’ve begun to read J.D. Salinger’s Franny & Zooey. Set in New York during the winter of 1955, Franny Glass is 20 year-old college student in the midst of a breakdown and her brother, Zooey Glass is a 25 year-old television star. This quote in particular, said by Franny, struck such a note with me: “Everything everybody does is so--I don't know--not wrong, or even mean, or even stupid, necessarily. But just so tiny and meaningless--and sad-making. And the worst part is, if you go bohemian or something crazy like that, you're conforming just as much as everybody else, only in a different way.” Even of my fave designers, Samantha Pleet took inspiration from the novel when conceiving her Spring/Summer 2011 collection. She infused the novel's signature glamour on both ends of the spectrum; from classic 1950s bohemian to upper crust Manhattan elite. 
Follow me on Twitter @emmaedition

5 comments:

  1. Love these pictures/your blog, you should do a Franny and Zooey inspired outfit post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that camera from Urban, the pictures come out looking super cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want the camera and the book! Haha.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...